Query# 16-07: Options for appropriate prescribing
This project aims to conduct a review of interventions to support appropriate prescribing of opioid. Previously, a full report was submitted to DSEN describing the results from the systematic review and an abstract with a summary of the review was presented at the 33rd International Conference on Pharmacoepidemiology & Therapeutic Risk Management.
Phase 1 of this project, a systematic review, has been completed. After discussions with Health Canada, it was determined that Phase 2 be made into its own separate query. Phase 2 will look at the following questions:
* What approaches and initiatives are utilized to positively influence appropriate prescribing and reduce unnecessary variations in prescribing?
* Of the different appropriate prescribing initiatives identified is there any evidence of their impact on outcomes measures in Canada?
* How do the different appropriate prescribing initiatives compare on various outcome measures?
* What data are required to inform and support interventions on appropriate prescribing?
* What types of quality indicators are effective in monitoring appropriate prescribing and use?.
Moride et al. A Systematic Review of Interventions and Programs Targeting Appropriate Prescribing of Opioids. 2017 (ICPE abstract)